Concept: Preparing to do the work, determining how we will work together and being intentional about defining desired impacts.
Questions to ask yourself:
- What will be my (Extension professional) role in this process?
- What impacts are appropriate? (Look to the impact indicators)
- How will we measure impact?
- To determine next steps (what will it take for the community to take the next step):
- Do you have clearly articulated shared expectations with the community?
- Do you have tools in place to carry out the work effectively (facilitation techniques, meeting management techniques)? competencies
- Do you need to involve other colleagues (other Extension personnel) to bring independence or expertise?
- What are our shared expectations with the community? (should be asked in all phases) Ground rules
Questions to ask the community:
- Who should be/must be involved (stakeholders)?
- How will these stakeholders be organized?
- Who is the point of contact with Extension? Is it a committee, an individual? Is the need for a single point of contact understood by the community?
- Define roles and responsibilities for each stakeholder or each stakeholder group.
- What is the project timeline?
- How will we manage logistics? (setting meeting times, taking notes, sharing information and updates, finding the meeting place, etc.)
- How will we make decisions?
- What are our shared expectations with Extension? (should be asked in all phases) Ground rules
Check-out questions to make sure you are in sync with community expectations:
- Shared expectations?
- New stakeholders?
- New assets external/internal?